- Democratization and Representative Bureaucracy—An Analysis of Promotion Patterns in Indonesia’s Civil Service, 1980-2015. With Adam Lauretig, Drew Rosenberg & Audrey Sacks (2018). coming soon
- Merit or Patronage?: The Dual Effect of Democratization on Civil Service Management. With Adam Lauretig, Drew Rosenberg & Audrey Sacks (2018). coming soon
- Universities and Democratization. With Florian Hollenbach and Janica Magat (2018).
- Natural Disasters, Aid Distribution, and Social Unrest—Micro-Level Evidence from the 2015 Earthquake in Nepal. With Alexander De Juan and Elisa Schwarz (2018).
- The Effects of Oil on Presidential Support in Uganda. With Guy Grossman, Laura Paler, and Jeremy Springman (2018)
- How to Make a Career in an Autocratic State–Evidence from the German Democratic Republic (GDR). With Alexander De Juan and Felix Haass
- The Origin of Universities in Europe, 800-1800. With Florian Hollenbach
Work in Progress:
- Local State Capacity, Social Identities, and Government Legitimacy. With Erik Wibbels